Many rumors were being spread on social media regarding the NSFAS 2024 online application. However, finally, the online applications are now open. Below is the official document confirming the launch of NSFAS 2024.
|Topic||National Student Financial Aid Scheme, NSFAS 2024-25|
|Online Application Start Date||21 November 2023|
|Online Application Last Date||31 January 2024|
NSFAS 2024 Eligibility
NSFAS eligibility criteria include: –
- Being a South African citizen or permanent resident with a valid South African ID number registered at an institution.
- Meeting financial eligibility criteria based on household income, with different thresholds for students with disabilities and non-SASSA recipients.
- Meeting academic eligibility criteria by achieving set academic achievement criteria.
NSFAS 2024 Required Documents
- Applicant’s ID
- Parent/Guardian ID
- Parent’s Proof of Income
Make sure you get these documents certified.
Financial Criteria for NSFAS 2024-25
- Funding will be available for students with a household income of R350,000 or less, starting from the 2024 academic year.
- For students with disabilities, the threshold is R600,000 or less.
- Students who are South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) recipients, as validated by NSFAS, automatically meet the financial eligibility criteria.
- Students who do not meet the financial eligibility criteria are not eligible for NSFAS funding.
The University and TVET Colleges funded qualifications are approved by the NSFAS and implemented in conjunction with this eligibility criteria.
University-approved funded qualifications are qualifications that have been accredited by the Council on Higher Education, are registered on the NQF with the institution listed as the originator.
These qualifications fall into two broad categories each of which have the following attributes on the NQF: – Certificate qualifications are qualifications that have been registered on the NQF, on NQF Level 5 and have a qualification type of Higher Certificate or National Higher Certificate.
Undergraduate qualifications are qualifications that have been registered on the NQF on: –
NQF Level 5 to 8 and have a qualification type of Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree
Covered Cost of Study
Regarding the cost of study covered by NSFAS,
- The tuition cost is the agreed institutional tuition cost for the actual programme of study for each student. NSFAS will only pay tuition costs in line with the agreed sector increase on the tuition cost for 2024.
- The registration fee must be included in the tuition cost. This should reflect as one cost rather than as separate items, regardless of how institutions manage their payment processes. Students qualifying for NSFAS funding are not required to pay the initial registration.
NSFAS covers the tuition costs of the actual program of study for each student, including the registration fee. NSFAS also provides allowances for accommodation, transport, personal care, meals, and incidental/personal expenses. Allowances are deposited directly into the student’s bank account. To receive payment, students must complete the NSFAS direct payment onboarding process.
The allowances are as follows:
- Accommodation allowance: This is a contribution towards the cost of accommodation in a university or TVET College residence or in private accommodation.
- Transport allowance: This is a contribution towards the cost of transport to and from the institution.
- Personal care allowance: This is a contribution towards the cost of personal care items such as toiletries.
- Meal allowance: This is a contribution towards the cost of meals.
- Incidental/personal allowance: This is a contribution towards the cost of personal items such as stationery, books, and clothing.
How to Apply online for NSFAS 2024
- Open up your browser
- Head to official NSFAS website – www.nsfas.org.za apply for 2024
- Click on the “myNSFAS” tab at the top right menu of the page.
- Login with your ID number and password to start your application.
Note: If you don’t have an ID number, you need to create a “myNSFAS account”
- After your Student ID Number is generated, you can continue with the online application process.
- Click on the ‘APPLY’ tab and complete the sections on the screen.
- You shall upload the required supporting documents when asked.
- Finally, hit the “Submit” button to submit your application for evaluation.
- Go to https://my.nsfas.org.za/
- Fill in your ID number and Password
- Then, click on “Login”
If you are not registered yet, make sure you create profile on nsfas.org.za login page first.
NSFAS 2024-25 Quick Links
Last Updated on November 21, 2023 by Vaibhav Tiwari