Cybercrimes are increasing at alarming rates in India. Hundreds of cybercrime reports are logged every day. Earlier, people need to visit cybercrime branches to file a complaint. Recently, the Indian government launched a cybercrime portal where people can log their complaints and check the status online. So, if you have are a victim of any online fraud or scam, this facility is going to help. Not only you will be able to file online fraud or scam complaint online, but you will also have facilities like checking the application status.
File Cybercrime complaint online | Report Fraud/Scam to National Cybercrime Reporting Portal
Before we explain the complete procedure, you must know a few important things. You will have to first understand what kind of crimes are called cyber crimes. So, in the unfortunate event of you being a victim of such crime, you will know where to report.
Complaints pertaining to online Child Pornography (CP), Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM) or sexually explicit content such as Rape/Gang Rape (CP/RGR) content.
Complaints pertaining to cybercrimes such as mobile crimes, online and social media crimes, online financial frauds, ransomware, hacking, cryptocurrency crimes and online cyber trafficking.
If you want to report any of the above-mentioned acts, you can use the National Cybercrime reporting portal.
How to file Cybercrime Complaint Online in India @cybercrime.gov.in
- First of all, Visit the Official website
- In the menu section, you need to focus on first and second menu items only i.e. “Report Women/Child-Related Crime” & “Report Other Cyber Crime”
- As the name suggests, if you want to report cybercrime activities related to women or child, use the first option, else use the generic option “Report other cybercrime”
- To explain to you, let’s use this other option. Click on “Report Other cybercrime”
- This opens up a new page
- Click on “File a Complaint” link to file a complaint
- This opens yet another page, where you need to accept the terms and conditions
- Click on the option near “I Accept”, then click on “I Accept”
- Now another page will open up, where you need to log in.
- In order to log in, you need to specify your State, create a username, Enter your mobile number and enter the OTP
- Once you enter your mobile number, click on “Get OTP” to receive the OTP on your mentioned mobile number
- Once received, enter the OTP
- Finally, solve a simple captcha for verification & hit the submit button
- Once successfully logged in, you will see a complaint registration form.
- Fill in the form by providing all the required information. Finally, click on “Submit” to submit the complaint
- Once, your complaint is submitted, you will see a complaint ID, which can be used to track the status of your complaint.
Check Status of Cyber Crime Complaint online @cybercrime.gov.in
Let’s now find out, how to check the status of cybercrime complaint online. Follow these steps:
- Login to your account on the official portal i.e. cybercrime.gov.in
- Once logged in, click on “Check Status”
- Enter the complaint ID or Search from request Date
- Now, you will be able to track the status of your complaint online
Frequently Asked Questions:
The Indian government has started this initiative recently. The aim of this portal is to facilitate victims/ complainants to report cybercrime complaints online. This portal caters to complaints pertaining to online Child Pornography (CP), Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM) or sexually explicit content such as Rape/Gang Rape (CP/RGR) content and other cybercrimes such as mobile crimes, online and social media crimes, online financial frauds, ransomware, hacking, cryptocurrency crimes and online cyber trafficking.
Either one can report anonymously (without revealing identity) or by providing your Name, State & Mobile Number. Also, some data will be collected during the complaint filling.
Yes, the department has recently released a toll-free number i.e. 155260 . You can make a call from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM